Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Oct 12, 2016 "Making Friends"

While General Conference is happening at Temple Square, the Temple Square missionaries have to walk around and talk to people and be missionaries, so it wasn't until this week that we actually got to listen to conference. Actually we've only gotten through one and a half sessions, but so far it's been AMAZING. 

On Friday while we were walking around the square, we ran into Elder Uceda, who gave a talk called "The Lord Jesus Christ Teaches Us to Pray" during conference. He talked about how a prayer with God is such a sacred moment. 

"At the very moment we say, “Father in Heaven,” He hears our prayers and is sensitive to us and our needs. And so His eyes and His ears are now connected to you. He reads our minds, and He feels our hearts. You cannot hide anything from Him. Now, the wonderful thing is that He will see you with eyes of love and mercy—love and mercy that we cannot fully understand. But love and mercy are with Him the very moment you say, “Father in Heaven.”

"So a moment of prayer is a very, very sacred moment. He is not one to say, “No, I will not listen to you now because you only come to me when you are in trouble.” Only men do that. He is not one to say, “Oh, you cannot imagine how busy I am now.” Only men say that."

(Read complete talk here.)

When we saw Elder Uceda on the square, we shook his hand, told him that he gave a great talk. He was so sweet! He smiled peered over his glasses like Dumbledore, and said, "Everyday, Jesus is still teaching me how to pray. It was so nice to visit with you sisters. Goodbye!"

Sometimes I'm tired. Sometimes I don't actually want to pour out my heart to God. Sometimes my prayers aren't so much a conversation with God. Sometimes it's just a "hi, thank you, goodbye." Even though sometimes my prayers are so insincere and rushed and mediocre, as a missionary, I feel like God's loving hand is in my life guiding me anyways. 

Pictures:
Tired (mostly because we have eaten to much sugar (see zebra popcorn))



Church's welfare program casually producing 4000 loaves of bread a day 


I made a friend. She had Sasquatch leggings.


Bye 

No comments:

Post a Comment